Turkish citizenship is usually automatically granted on the basis of descent. If one’s parent(s) are of Turkish descent or Turkish citizens, were married at the time of conception, then Turkish citizenship is usually granted.
An alien, not subject to the process listed above, can also obtain citizenship. However, there is a different process one must complete in order to achieve Turkish citizenship.
- Be in the age of majority and have the capacity to act either according to his/her own national law or, if he/she is stateless, according to Turkish law.
- Have been resident in Turkey without interruption for five years preceding the date of his/her application.
- Verify his/her determination to settle in Turkey with his/her manners.
- Have no disease constituting an obstacle in respect of public health.
- Be of good moral character.
- Be able to speak a sufficient level of Turkish.
- Have income or profession to provide for maintenance for himself/herself and his/her dependents in Turkey.
- Have no quality constituting an obstacle in respect to national security and public order.
If you meet these conditions, then you can apply to the City Population and Citizenship Directorate (in Turkish, Nüfus ve Vatandaşlık Müdürlüğü). Your “sufficient level of Turkish language” degree is evaluated by the commission. This commission does not want any document for a language degree. If the commission approves your application, you should send the file to the Ministry of the Interior. The decision of citizenship acquisition is given by the ministry.